Warning: DOMDocument::loadHTML(): Tag figure invalid in Entity, line: 18 in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/genebank/common/content-filters.php on line 7
Warning: DOMDocument::loadHTML(): Tag figcaption invalid in Entity, line: 19 in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/genebank/common/content-filters.php on line 7
Targets – by 2022
- Availability: 90% of accessions healthy and available for immediate distribution. By 2016 the Platform achieved availability of 74%
- Security: 90% of samples safety duplicated in two locations by 2022. By 2016, 53% of seed accessions and 73% of clonal accessions were secured
- Information: 90% of accessions have minimum passport or characterisation data online. By 2016, 87% of accessions have data available online
- Quality Management System: agreed elements of QMS in place at all genebanks
CGIAR genebanks report their individual target scores to the Platform, which updates the overall targets annually.
The agreements between CGIAR Centers and the ITPGRFA require genebanks to ensure their collections of PGR “shall be made available” and that Centers will “manage and administer these ex situ collections in accordance with internationally accepted standards, specifically the Genebank Standards, as endorsed by the FAO Commission on Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture”.
While all of a genebank’s accessions are, in theory, available for distribution, by 2016 74% were available for immediate distribution. Two constraints limit availability in practice.
- A genebank may not have sufficient material in its active collection available to distribute, so that a request for a specific accession would have to wait until that accession is regenerated to be fulfilled. This can introduce a delay of more than a year.
- Sample quality is not acceptable for distribution. For example, material may be affected by seedborne diseases that contravene phytosanitary regulations and so are unsafe to distribute.
The Platform has adopted a target that by 2022, 90% of the entire CGIAR collection should be phytosanitarily clean and available for rapid distribution. In addition, 90% of accessions will be duplicated for security in two locations including the Svalbard Global Seed Vault and will have minimum information available online to aid selection. All CGIAR genebanks will have the elements of a QMS in place.
In addition to the overall targets for the Platform, the individual modules that make up the program have agreed targets for specific activities.